I love honeymoons. What a genius idea! It shocks couples how little one on one time they have together the week of their wedding. After engagement, wedding planning, and the actual wedding, a vacation is the perfect way to slow down and just hang out with your spouse. Honeymoon possibilities are endless and there are a ton of ideas about what the perfect honeymoon looks like. Here are some questions to think about when planning the honeymoon that's right for you and your new spouse! And some pictures from our favorite trips we've been on since our wedding!
1. Where do you want to go? Write down all of the destinations y'all want to visit to have as a starting point for making your selection. Dream big, like two or three week trips, and think small, like weekend getaways. This is a great list to have for planning future trips, too!
2. How much time do you have? Look at your schedules and time off and determine how long you have to travel. Do a stay-cation, a short getaway, or a nice 10 day trip. Even if it's two days, take it. Take the time to unwind from your busy wedding week and rest together before you head back into day to day life.
3. What type of vacationers are you? Not everyone is the sit on a beach for a week type. We definitely weren't until we both started working full time. Now, it comes up in conversation weekly :). If you love hiking, do Yosemite for a week. If you want to see Europe without a huge budget and a lot of time, try a cruise. If you love road trips, drive from San Francisco to San Diego. If you want to take it easy on a beach for a week, do it!
4. How exhausted are you? Your honeymoon is a time to rest and refresh. If you haven't had a break from day to day grind in a while, a whirlwind Europe tour might not be a restful trip. Try and plan only one major event each day. Actually rest on your honeymoon, without multiple deadlines a day and the stress of missing out on something.
5. What's your budget? Yes, you read that right. Budget's last, and no, I'm not nuts! By thinking through the other questions first, you will have a good idea of the sort of trip you want to take and can take. Find the place on your list that fits how much rest you need, the type of trip you like to take, how long you have, and your budget. There's a destination that will fit all of these categories for y'all!
Your honeymoon is the first trip of your marriage. Take the trip you want to with the time and money you have. Enjoy the time and make it yours!